- 8oz or 250 gram plain flour (white or wholemeal)
- 3 fl oz or 80 ml water (warm if possible)
- Put the flour in a bowl and gradually add the water, stirring with a knife, until enough water is added and a ball of dough is formed. Add more flour if it gets sticky. Knead the dough on a floured board/plate with your hands for 5 -10 minutes. It should feel elastic. Cover the dough and leave for an hour.
- During this hour gather enough punk and wood and light a cooking fire. Try lighting the fire without matches (using a magnifying glass or even "rubbing 2 sticks together").
- Knead the dough again for 5 mins. Divide the dough into balls, no bigger than a golf ball,there should be enough for all your patrol, and one for the leaders to taste!
- Flatten each ball, roll it in some flour and roll, or press, into a thin round about 6ins(15cm) in diameter.
- Put a small frying pan over the fire. Add a little oil and when hot cook a chapatti for about 30 sec on each side, moving it so it does not stick. When done press the chapatti with a clean cloth and it will swell up, or lift out of the pan and put on griddle over the fire.
- Spread with butter and eat hot.