Hiker Activity Badge
To gain this badge, Scouts must complete the requirements below:
1. As a member of a group of at least four and not more than seven Scouts, carry out three expeditions or journeys as follows:
- a journey or expedition of at least 12 km.
- two journeys or expeditions of at least 20 km, both to include an overnight stop.
3. All members of the group must show that they know the intended route and have knowledge of basic navigation, first aid and emergency procedures, including the In Touch system.
4. After each journey or expedition, the group should give a verbal report.
5. Demonstrate awareness of developments in technology, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), digital mapping, waterproof maps etc.
Reference should be made to the activity rules in chapter nine of Policy, Organisation and Rules and the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme and the Nights Away Permit Scheme
Expeditions by canoe, horseback or cycle of similar duration may be acceptable provided at least one overnight journey or expedition on foot is carried out. During cycling activities, cycle helmets must be worn at all times. The distances stated may be varied at the Leader's discretion. Alternative activities may be carried out as agreed by the leadership team.
If you need help designing alternatives to these requirements for those with special needs please contact the Special Needs Office at Gilwell Park.