Pioneering—the knowledge of ropes, knots, and splices along with the ability to build rustic structures by lashing together poles and spars—is among the oldest of Scouting's skills. Practicing rope use and completing projects with lashings also allow Scouts to connect with past generations, ancestors who used many of these skills as they sailed the open seas and lived in America's forests and prairies.
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illness that could occur while working on pioneering projects, including minor cuts and abrasions, bruises, rope burns, blisters, splinters, sprains, heat and cold reactions, dehydration, and insect bites or stings.
- Do the following:
- Successfully complete Tenderfoot requirements 4a and 4b and First Class requirements 7a, 7b, and 8a. (These are the rope-related requirements.)
- Tie the following: square knot, bowline, sheepshank, sheet bend, and roundturn with two half hitches.
- Demonstrate the following: tripod and round lashings.
Boy Scout Handbook; Guide to Safe Scouting; Knots and How to Tie Them; Camping, Climbing, First Aid, Model Design and Building, Textile, and Woodwork merit badge pamphlets
- Ashley, Clifford W. The Ashley Book of Knots. Doubleday, 1976.
- Biddlecombe, George. The Art of Rigging. Dover, 1990.
- Bigon, Mario, and Guido Regazzoni. The Morrow Guide to Knots. William Morrow, 1988.
- Boy Scouts of America. Knots and How to Tie Them. Boy Scouts of America, 2005.
- Budworth, Geoffrey. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Knots. Globe Pequot Press, 2002.
- The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework. Lorenz Books, 1999.
- Day, Cyrus Lawrence. The Art of Knotting and Splicing. Naval Institute Press, 1986.
- Knots and Splices. McGraw-Hill, 1989.
- Pawson, Des. Handbook of Knots: Expanded Edition. DK Publishing, 2004.
- Knot Craft: 28 Ropework Projects. Paradise Cay, 2004.
- Pocket Guide to Knots & Splices. Chartwell Books, 2001.
- Perry, Gordon. Knots: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide to Tying Over 100 Knots. Barnes & Noble Books, 2002.
- Salvadori, Mario; Saralinda Hooker; and Christopher Ragus. The Art of Construction: Projects and Principles for Beginning Engineers and Architects. Chicago Review Press, 1990.
- Smith, Hervey Garrett. The Arts of the Sailor: Knotting, Splicing and Ropework. Dover, 1990.
- The Marlinspike Sailor. McGraw-Hill, 1993.
- Toghill, Jeff. Knots and Splices. Sheridan House, 1998.
- Toss, Brion. The Complete Rigger's Apprentice: Tools and Techniques for Modern and Traditional Rigging. McGraw-Hill, 1997.