This merit badge provides an opportunity for Scouts to learn more about painting, including both the artistic and practical aspects.
- Explain the proper safety procedures to follow when preparing surfaces and applying coatings.
- Do the following:
- Explain three ways that coatings can improve a surface.
- Explain the differences between oil-based paints, acrylic-based paints, and water-based paints.
- Explain where you would apply enamel paint, flat paint, wood stain, and varnish, and explain the importance of sheen.
- Tell why each is best for these uses.
Home Repairs and Safety merit badge pamphlets
- Butterfield, Suzanne K., Donald Kaufman, and Jacqueline Goewey. Color Palettes. Crown Publishing Group, 1998.
- Donegan, Francis. Paint Your Home: Skills, Techniques, and Tricks of the Trade for Professional Looking Interior Painting. Reader's Digest Association Inc., 1997.
- Essential Paint Techniques: Improving Your Home With Paint Inside and Out. This Old House Books, 2000.
- Harrington, Leslie, Benjamin Moore Paints, and James Martin. The Art of Exterior Painting: A Step-by-Step Guide to Choosing Colors and Painting Your Home. Hungry Minds Inc., 2000.
- McElroy, William C. Painter's Handbook. Craftsman Book Company, 1988.
- Murphy, Rhoda Jaffin, and House Beautiful Editors. House Beautiful Paint. Hearst Books, 1994.
- Painting and Decorating Craftsman's Manual and Textbook. Painting and Decorating Contractors of America, 1995.
- Sloan, Annie. Modern Paint Effects: A Guide to Contemporary Paint Finishes From Inspiration to Technique. Firefly Books Ltd., 2000.
- Step-by-Step Exterior Painting. Meredith Books, 1997.
- Travis, Debbie, with Barbara Dingle, ed. Debbie Travis's Decorating Solutions: More Than 65 Paint and Plaster Finishes for Every Room in Your House. Random House Inc., 1999.
- Wilbur, C. Keith. Homebuilding and Woodworking in Colonial America. Chelsea House Publishers, 1997.